Obsession: Black Wedding Dresses

I was never the little girl who dreamed about what her wedding day would be like. The white gowns and crazy amount of money spent on one day never really appealed to me at the time. I just wasn’t a fan. But with the craze of Pinterest, I began to see all of these wedding photos and ideas and that got the ball rolling for me.
 I’m still not into planning my wedding day in my teenage years, but I do know a few specifics that are non-negotiables. Some of them are blood red parrot tulips, a small, intimate venue, and a black wedding gown.
 
Obsession: Black Wedding Gowns photo 1Obsession: Black Wedding Gowns photo 2Obsession: Black Wedding Gowns photo 3
 
You may be asking yourself the question I get all the time—“But why?!” My answer to this is that, like I’ve said, I have never really gotten the point of white wedding gowns. Yes, purity and new, and blah, blah, blah. It’s traditional and such and I’m not one to follow the rules. I certainly don’t mean for my choice of dress color to offend anyone, but just because I don’t particularly like the traditional aspect of weddings doesn’t mean it isn’t still my day.
If I haven’t convinced you with my personal opinions, let me convince you with my favorite thing—fashion, and nothing but.
This love for black gowns may have come from my insane obsession with the movie Marie Antoinette and everything about the woman. In the movie, Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst) and her friends go to a masquerade. She wears a stunning black dress to this party and I couldn’t get over it.
 
 Obsession: Black Wedding Gowns photo 4
 
It didn’t help matters that I became obsessed with the Elie Saab’s Fall 2012 and Spring 2011 Collections which featured beautiful lace, beaded, and my very favorite, black gowns. I couldn’t and still can’t get enough of them. Hopefully one day it won’t seem so crazy to have one of these amazing dresses as my own for my wedding day. Let’s be honest, though, I’m that crazy bride who would pay thousands of dollars for the perfect dress. That’s the most important part of the day.
 
 
 
If it isn’t an Elie Saab dream dress, I have a thing for Oscar De La Renta dresses, too, it seems. If these dresses were all in black, they’d be perfect. I am head over heels for the lace, see-through one (first on the left).
 
Obsession: Black Wedding Gowns photo 6
 
So, if I haven’t convinced you by now, I understand. Some traditions just can’t be parted with and that’s understandable. But to me, this is my choice and I will be more than happy with it when the time comes.
What do you think about having a black wedding gown for your big day? Too dark, too much? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about a light gold or yellow dress for my wedding next year...but we're doing everything else so non-traditional that I feel like a colored dress might push my family over the edge.Black and White Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete